- Place foil in the bottom of the smoking tray, add manuka smoking woodchips, this also makes the smoker easier to clean.
- Do not have the smoker running too hot as the smoke may become bitter and sharp.
- A little fresh herb, chili, or citrus skin may be placed in with the wood shavings when smoking to achieve additional flavour.
- It is an advantage to leave the skin on the fish, smoke the fish skin side down, do not attempt to turn the fish whilst smoking.
- If you are leaving the fish/meat/chicken on the smoking tray to cool, move it around a couple of times to ensure it does not stick as it’s cooling.
- Manuka wood is used in New Zealand when making a hangi (traditional underground Maori cooking.